Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Teaching a Child the Alphabet

It's been a while since I was a child--over forty years ago! As I think back to my early childhood education, I really don't remember how I initially learned my ABC's. What I do recall vividly are the cursive penmanship lessons in second grade, but I must have already known my alphabet to have completed those lessons.

Now that I have a preschooler of my own, I want him to learn his alphabet this summer so it's fresh when he starts his Pre-K class. He already knows the capital letters. Learning the lower case alphabet is not as easy. In a child's mind sometimes a 'd' and 'b' look the alike. Same goes for the 'p' and 'q'.

So, if a child isn't yet writing, how do you go about teaching the lowercase alphabet to a preschooler? To find the answer I put on my thinking (research) cap and began combing the Internet for suggestions.

Low and behold, I found a wide selection of ideas that are both fun for the child and educational for my peace of mind. There are three ways I can tackle this summer lesson plan:
1. Set him in front of a PC and run a software application, such as Let's Learn ABC
2. Show flash cards or read books, such as Dr. Suess's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book
3. Use a puzzle, like Huey Learning Puzzle

Well, as you can imagine, I chose the most interactive lesson from among these three choices. The one that incorporates family fun and games! The Huey Learning Puzzle allows me and my son an interactive learning experience. Not only is he identifying the lowercase letters, but he's matching them to the capital letter also printed on the puzzle. Each lower case alphabet character is a different puzzle shape so he quickly learned that the lowercase 'd' will not fit in the 'b' spot.

In addition to the alphabet, Huey also teaches colors and counting. Each of Huey's shoes is a different hue. The lady bugs in the scene are numbered 1-10 for counting. Three concepts in one puzzle! I've hit a gold mine for a solid wood puzzle at only $12!!


Now that he's on the verge of spelling 3 and 4 letter words, the Huey puzzle makes a great spelling game, too. One puzzle, unlimited fun learning possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment