Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Work Your Plan – The 5 P’s that Turned Around My Home-Party Business (Part 1)

Work-at-home business opportunities are all over the web and no doubt you are getting invites quite often to attend in-home party plan demonstrations. You hear little about many industries having as much success during these trying economic times. Direct sales continues to thrive in this economic climate and I'm a proud represent a company that is part of this industry!


Recently I heard a comment that 80% of the women earning $100,000 or more annual income are doing so with their own direct sales business. Though I’m still working to achieve a six figure annual income, I am proud to have experienced success as a work-at-home-mom in the direct sales home party industry.

For those of you reading this with an entrepreneurial spirit, any direct sales home party business is ideal because you can run it right alongside all the other things in your busy life. I know this to be true because I have a family, manage a home, work a part-time job outside the home, and also volunteer at my church and in the community. Yet I still regularly contribute to our family income with the profits I earn by owning a direct sales home party business.


Through the past 10 years I have owned three different direct sales party plan businesses. I always began each new adventure with high hopes. This last business opportunity was no exception. However, this time it’s working to my advantage and I am now making a profit. Don’t get me wrong, it took a lot of hard work, determination, dedication and perseverance to get to a profitable income level.

Here’s how I was able to make my direct sales home-party business a success story…

At a company leadership meeting about a year and a half ago, I experienced an attitude adjustment. That was when I made a decision to “get up and go to work everyday.” What that means is I make a point to do something to help me grow my home-party business each and everyday. My day isn't complete until I make personal contact with at least six people. If I’m at a party, my success rate is much higher! It is when making these contacts that I encourage everyone to take advantage of the many different services I have to offer. This attitude adjustment and a busy schedule empowers me to “get up and go to work everyday.”

Through the years, I’ve learned that there are Five P’s to running my direct sales business. It wasn’t until that revelation in March of 2008 that I began approaching my personal business with these five P’s in mind:

  • Products
  • Programs
  • Purpose
  • People
  • Plan


Listed here are more details and examples for applying the Five P’s to aid with your start-up or help you turn around your existing direct sales home-party business.

  1. Products: Of course, I’m referring to the collections of items your company has to offer. You must first enjoy the products you represent and show some degree of passion when you demonstrate the collection. You can’t expect to place the products into the hands of your customers if you yourself are not willing to use them. With that in mind, I’ve always found more success when you are able to genuinely “romance” the products you represent at your parties and events. In direct sales, to romance something is to enthusiastically demonstrate the “who,” “what,” “where,” “when,” “why” and “how” of a particular item. Romancing your products boosts your own personal sales, helps your host increase his or her party rewards, and allows you to date more future bookings. Your goal is to eventually have everyone begging for your products.

    CALL TO ACTION: If you don't already have any one particular direct sales company in mind, search for one with products you are passionate about presenting. Chances are you are already a repeat customer for such a company. Then get to know your company’s products and find the words that make it comfortable for you to “romance” the items you put on display at your parties.


(Tomorrow this list continues with Part 2... )

No comments:

Post a Comment